Sunday, June 26, 2011

It's just another manic Friday.


As a kid I the late 1990s and early 2000s, my family had a certain ritual. Nearly every Friday during the school year that my father was off, we would go to the Mall and have dinner at Friday’s. We would then go up and down the Mall going through the bookstores, toy stores, and video game stores. If it was rainy and I had just bought the most recent Sims expansion pack, it was the best Friday ever. It could only have gotten better if it was the Friday before a long weekend or vacation.

Things changed. Friday’s went downhill. For some reason, they changed their menu. I guess the popular meals were too popular so they wanted to give other meals a chance. My sister always got a honey mustard chicken sandwich, but they got rid of it. She needed to order a slightly similar meal but add and subtract many things in order for it to be the same. Being Friday’s, that was really hard. As per my understanding, the meals are premade and are heated up when ordered. I imagine a burger in a block of ice, plate included. Again, I do not know this for a fact.

The next time we went to the restaurant, most of the new items in the menu were “forced into early retirement”. No really, that is what was said in the menu. A sticker covered up the name of the meal with the words “forced into early retirement” written on it. I think over half of the items on the menu, were no longer on the menu. I think most people were disappointed as the restaurant was at half capacity for a normal Friday night. We no longer went as a family after that and it would be years before I went to another Friday’s again. It was sad as we had been such loyal patrons. My father had a Friday’s Reward card-thing that gave you rewards for eating there. We were probably close to getting the cruise (not really).

I guess we’ll have to go to other named-for-a-day-of-the-week restaurants.

It’s only been recently that I have been back there to eat. I really don’t care for it. As per most restaurants, I can never find anything I like so I get the appetizer chicken tenders or chicken wings. It’s usually chicken.

Understanding that I might need a little bit more to eat, I ask for a side of French fries.

No can do.

This might have to do with the meals-frozen-in-a-block-of-ice-thing or billing issues, but I could not receive French fries with my appetizer.

The solution? The waiter could “accidentally” bring French fries to the table and quickly walk away and hope he wasn’t seen.

Seriously, that is what he told me. I guess it didn’t matter though as he never brought me any during the meal.

What the Hell? If I go to Chili’s or Applebee’s, they would ask me if I wanted something extra, like French fries. “Are you sure you just want the Boneless Buffalo wings? You can get more to eat if you want. It’s not against the law.” But if I go to Friday’s, it’s like asking them if I could sacrifice a virgin on their table.

Although I’m sure there are laws against suicide. Zing!

No comments:

Post a Comment