Wednesday, September 7, 2011

POOL PARTY!!! Oh Wait, It's After Labor Day...


Well, another Labor Day has come and gone. I have burned all of my white clothes to conform to a nonsensical fashion rule and my swim trunks are in winter storage. Why are my swim trunks in winter storage? (and who under the age of 70 calls them "swim trunks"). Because of that other nonsensical rule governing Labor Day; close the pools.

I shouldn’t complain as this is the second year in a row at my Apartment Complex in which I have not gone in the pool. But I still wonder, why should the pools close on Labor Day? I know Labor Day is the unofficial end to summer and pools are a “summer-only” activity, but summer is NOT officially over. That would be the 21st of September.

Also, down here in Virginia, it is still pretty warm in September. The average high for September is 79 degrees. That’s almost 80! That is pretty nice swimming weather! And 79 is only the average temperature, which means it can and will get hotter.

I know temperature is not an issue as Memorial Day is the unofficial start of summer and when pools open. The average temperature for Virginia in May is 76, three degrees colder than September. Oh, and thanks to the rapid urbanization of the area I am in, the temperature is actually hotter. Why do we have to wait until the end of May to open the pools? It can get hot at the beginning of May!

Is the Memorial Day to Labor Day pool opening/closing etiquette only in slightly northern states (Virginia and Up)? Does El Paso, a city with 109 days (30% of the year) at or above 90 degrees, really going to open their pools so late and close them so early? They should be open from April to October.

Can we please stop conforming to this unwritten rule about pools? My poor grandfather was a SLAVE to this. He would mindlessly open and close his pool because of the calendar, not the temperature. At least it makes sense when you look at Rochester's average temperatures. Let’s take into consideration the local climate and create a no-nonsense schedule around common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment