Wednesday, October 26, 2011

It's a PC Halloween, Charlie Brown!

So, here is this story I saw on CNN. I saw it from a friend’s post earlier, but seeing it again, it’s really getting under my skin. There are these five pictures of students holding up a picture of a Halloween costume that is a stereotype of their race/ethnicity/religion. They all include the words “We’re a culture, not a costume” followed by “This is Not who I am, and This is Not Okay.”

This might be one of the reasons I’m not a full blown Liberal, because I hate Political Correction (I do believe the Right also partakes in it, but I’m going to complain about Left-Wing Political Correction here). I just can’t stand this oversensitivity towards offending minority groups. You can’t say this, you can’t do that, and Star Wars is racist, blah blah blah. It’s just a freakin’ costume. That’s kind of the point of Halloween; exaggeration. I went as LBJ one year and I exaggerated his personality and his movement. Is the Johnson family going to complain? If you know it’s a stereotype and not at all reflective of who you are, why get offended? If the person who is dressed up like that thinks it is an accurate representation, they are a freakin’ idiot. Don’t let idiots get to you, you’re better than them.

But I want to know, why were minorities only chosen for this photo project? Let’s look at some other costumes and see who they offend (and wonder why they weren't asked to participate in the photo project):

 Germans
 Jews

 The Scottish

 Egyptians

 The Irish
Italians/Those who have died at the hands of the Mob

Scandinavians

French/Those who suffered during the French Revolution

Catholics

Christians in general

Greeks

Early Man

Buddhists
The Elderly
 Dead Singers

Assassinated Political Figures

PETA

 Wiccans

American Southerners

...Okay, this is pretty funny...

 America's Founding Fathers

Government Employees

Fire Fighters

Astronauts

The dozen or so people who died/The Environment/Gulf Coast residents

Cowboys

Pirates/Victims of Pirates

Anyone with a shred of Decency


Where are the complaints about these costumes? Where is the outcry from the Italian community or German Community or the AARP or the Anti-Defamation League? My German culture is being stereotyped as a bunch of lederhosen-wearing, beer-drinkers! My religious leader is being sold as some cheap costume!

Just looking at the costumes about race/ethnicity, why is it alright to make fun of one group but not another? Why are Christians free-game, but Muslims are out of bounds? Why is it racist to make fun of Mexicans but not Germans? Why can we laugh at a "Stupid Red Neck" but not a "Lazy Mexican"? I try to live my life as consistent and un-hypocritical as possible. When I see this blatant double-standard, it confuses me. You have to laugh at EVERYTHING. Nothing should ever be off limits. I understand that timing-wise, a joke should be held off (That episode in which the Simpsons go to New York City), but only briefly. Don't laugh at a joke at the expense of one group, only to get offended at a joke made about your group.

My point is this; don’t take these costumes so seriously. Like I said before, if you know it’s a stereotype and not at all reflective of who you are, why get offended? I thought it was absolutely hilarious to see the French translation for the “Tacky Tourist” costume was “American Tourist”. I know what the stereotype is of Americans tourists overseas. But I know it’s just a stereotype and I was able to have a good laugh at it. Halloween is about pretending and light-hearted fun. It’s the only time people can walk around, dress up, and act as something they are not (outside of a convention). Exaggeration is part of that. (I would like to know why no one at my College complained about the clubs dedicated to perpetuating Pirate and Ninja stereotypes). Don’t take a costume personally. I didn’t find the “Tacky Tourist” or “Bavarian” costumes to be personally offensive. And you shouldn't be offended either.

I might have to come out with another "In-depth Explanation" post as my explanations might not have been the best. Basically, why are some groups off-limits and others are in-play?

No comments:

Post a Comment