Monday, January 3, 2011

Get Funny!

Yes, I am still alive.

I love the newspaper comics. Not to the same extent as Bill Watterson, but I still love them. Since moving to Northern Virginia, I am thoroughly impressed by the selection they have in the Washington Post. I think my hometown paper The Democrat and Chronicle from Rochester doesn’t even have the funnies anymore.

I read about 95% of them. I skip over the more “dramatic” ones and I especially hate Frank & Ernest for their awful puns.

There is one comic however that has gotten under my skin; Get Fuzzy. It’s about a guy name Rob who has no problem with the fact that his cat, Bucky, and his dog, Satchel, can talk (as well as every other animal). 

Hmmm. You have a somewhat dorky man who owns a sarcastic cat and a stupid dog. What does that remind me of?

Anyway, I mostly enjoyed reading the strip. It was a way to pass the time during my first break at work. Then I got annoyed with one of the ‘story’ arcs; take horror movie titles and make them sound British (to make them appeal to the English cat character). It wasn’t bad for the first few strips, but after going on to the second full week of nothing but puns, I got fed up.

I tried to give the strip a second chance but it has again relied on a joke that is staler than the week-old bagels in the break room; “which Children’s TV character is more badass”/ “the Muppets are hardcore badasses”. I don’t get it. What is so funny? He’s bad because of “funny distorted observation about character/ made up BS”. THREE WEEKS of strips dedicated to this “running joke”. You know it’s dragging on when the first panel each day is basically a recap of the previous day’s argument.

“We know our comic is so boring that we have to remind you of what happened yesterday!”

I do respect the strip for its art (it is visually pleasing and more intricate than most comics), and that making a daily comic everyday without a break can be a bit hard. However, I hate these lame stories that go on too long and make the last season of That 70’s Show look fun and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment