Saturday, January 8, 2011

Trust Me...

I don’t get it.

Some idiot woman on NPR (They really need to stop taking calls) called in on “Science Friday” to complain about the guest and his radical book espousing the craziest of ideas: vaccines are not bad and by not getting your children vaccinated you risk death (the kid and younger kids). You may have heard about the “Vaccines cause Autism” study being retracted and then exposed as fraud (so much so that I am not going to provide a link because it’s so easy to find). Before being exposed, but after being dismissed by the scientific community, stupid Oprah-watching stay-at-home moms began panicking and refusing to let their child get vaccinated out of fears that they may get Autism. I believe a measles outbreak has occurred last year because dumb parents threw common sense out the window. For some reason Conservapedia (the conservative alternative to the evil Libtard Wikipedia) is really against vaccines. You know, government forcing you to do something is bad, especially when the president is a liberal [list too long to insert]. After all, it is your right to let your child and others die from easily preventable diseases. ITS NOT THE GUV’RNMINTS RIGHT DAMMIT!

To be honest, I only started listening half way through the program, but I think I got the point. The guest was trying to explain everything this woman was saying and how it was not true and was giving sound scientific explanations to alleviate her fears. Her response: “I have yet to hear a single scientific explanation to calm my fears!”

“Vaccines contain mercury!”

“Well, the levels found in the vaccines are really low and are easily excreted through sweat glands”

“You’re not giving me a sound scientific explanation!!!”

Shut up, just shut up! Lady, you need to take your head out of your ass and listen to the man! You aren’t hearing because you ain’t listening! This ignorant woman already has her mind made up. It’s like trying to argue with a conspiracy theorist.

What I find odd is that this woman so easily believed one scientist, but not another.

Fake Scientist: “The sky is orange”
Stupid Lady: “Ok!”
Real Scientist: “Well actually, the sky appears to be blue. Look at it. It’s blue”
Stupid Lady: “Shut up! Show me the proof!”
Real Scientist: “Look up. You see? That is blue. This book gives many examples of what is blue and it fits this one.”
Stupid Lady: “You haven’t given me a single credible scientific explanation!”
Fake Scientist: “The sky is purple”
Stupid Lady: “Ok! The sky is purple!”
Real Scientist: [sigh]

I mean really, why instantly believe one guy but instantly distrust another? I guess this woman already had this belief and just needed it reinforced.

I will give credit to the guest; he handled the caller much better than I would have. I think this post is a sanitized version of what I would have said (calling her crazy, stupid, idiot). Also, it is nice that NPR does give time to those with differing opinions and allows the potential for debate. Yes, potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment