Saturday, March 17, 2012

Election Prediction: March


 


Because I am bored and a political junkie, I decided to make these three Electoral College prediction maps thanks to realclearpolitics.com. Based on current polling (some states haven’t had a poll since August), this is how the election will turn out.
Romney vs Obama.          191 to 347
Santorum vs. Obama        187 to 351
Gingrich vs. Obama          162 to 376
Obama is looking pretty good for the moment. Some states are really close, but whoever had the majority, no matter how slight, I gave them that state.

I was surprised by a few things when compiling the data.

If Gingrich were running, Texas would be a tossup (based on mid January polling) as would Kansas (based on November polls). I was surprised to see him lose Kentucky to the President (based on one poll from August).

If the President were to face Romney, he would only lose one state from 2008, Indiana. Of course, things can change. Florida has been back and forth between Romney and Obama since 2010.

What bothers me the most is that Rick Santorum would finish quite close to Romney in the Electoral Vote. Only four votes behind. He would pick up Missouri, but lose Iowa. I thought he was a bit more unpopular than that. That concerns me a little.

As of right now, Obama looks pretty good. He is well over the 270 needed to win. But there is still eight months left and we don’t have an official GOP candidate yet. Only time will tell who will win come November.

No comments:

Post a Comment