Monday, March 19, 2012

Women's History Month '12

March is half over at this point and I failed to mention that it is Women's History Month. Last year at the beginning of the month, I wrote two posts. One was about statistics and women's involvement in government. Another was about how change takes time and we should have more patience. I had something similar along those lines planned for this month. But I have decided against it. Why?

Because women have to put up with a lot of shit. Here and abroad women have to put up with A LOT. Just look at these statistics. Look at them! When you look at some of these, scratch that, ALL of these, how can you tell someone that it takes time, so just wait it out? How can you tell someone that they will make less, own less, and will be subject to far more abuse simply because of the way they were born? And I'm sitting here complaining about a play trying to empower women to overcome this shit? What the fuck?

Look at what is going on in this country. I know there is a larger world beyond the shores of the USA, but I want to focus on this country for now. Look at all the crap that has been going on in the last few months. Do I need to provide any links? These idiotic ultrasound bills. Attacking contraception. Calling a woman who wants access to contraception "a slut". COMPARING WOMEN TO GOD DAMN FARM ANIMALS! And much, MUCH, more. This is insanity! Why are these old men so obsessed with controlling women? Why do so many lawmakers want to keep women barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen? It drives me crazy to think there are so many men out there that can't view a woman as a fellow human being who deserves the same rights as any other man, like privacy and control of their own bodies! And this is coming predominately from a political party that wants less government intrusion into the lives of its citizens!

I frankly do not know how women put up with all of this shit. Well, a lot aren't just putting up with it and are making their voices heard. Continue to do so. Stand up and tell these misogynistic lawmakers that you aren't second class citizens. I don't know what I can do besides voting and doing this to the lawmakers. Maybe I could write some letters or something. Donate to a cause. Something.

Women's History Month? International Women's Day? Jesus, everyday should be dedicated to women if you have to put up with this much BS. And to anyone who complains about not having a "Men's History Month" or a "White History Month", please see the link to what I would do to lawmakers in the previous paragraph.

Deep down, I'll always be a Silent Majority, white man. I may still complain about double standards and hypocrisy. But really, I am in no real position to complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment